For complete details, please see the full list of Rules and Regulations. For answers to Frequently Asked Questions, please click the topics below.
To obtain a list of Scholarship recipients after August 29, 2016, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Shire Canada ADHD Scholarship, Bay Adelaide Centre 22 Adelaide Street West Suite 3800 Toronto, ON M5H 4E3 or visit www.ShireADHDscholarship.com.
- Scholarship redemption is subject to the recipient submitting verification of enrollment at a Qualifying Institution and evidence that they have been diagnosed with ADHD, both in a form acceptable to the Scholarship Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion.
- Scholarships and Coaching Services must be used during the 2016/2017 academic year which generally begins in August/September 2016 and ends in May/June 2017.
- Scholarship Recipients agree that the Scholarship may NOT be used for online courses or distance learning programs UNLESS the online course or distance learning program is offered by an educational institution that also maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled student body that attends classes at a physical location where the educational institution habitually engages in education activities.
- Scholarship Recipient MUST complete the initial consultation with the Edge Foundation before the $1,500 cheque portion of the Scholarship will be paid to the Scholarship Recipient.
To be eligible for a Provincial Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria at the time of submitting your application:
- Be accepted to or enrolled in a post-secondary program at a Canadian accredited two-year to four-year college, university, trade, technical or vocational school, located in Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Ontario, or Québec (a "Qualifying Institution").
- Be a legal resident of Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Ontario, or Québec.
- Be of the age of majority in the province in which you reside.
- At the time of submitting the application, each applicant must have been diagnosed with ADHD and under the care of a licensed health care professional for ADHD, although no specific future or ongoing plan of management or treatment for applicant’s ADHD is required in order for applicant to be eligible to receive a Scholarship.
Employees, immediate family members (defined as parents, children and siblings) of employees, consultants, vendors, agents, and representatives of the Scholarship Sponsor (the “Scholarship Partners”), and those with whom they live (whether related or not), are not eligible for a Provincial Scholarship.
The Employee Scholarship is available only to employees of the Scholarship Sponsor, members of their immediate family, and those with whom the employee of the Scholarship Sponsor live and who otherwise meet the eligibility criteria set forth above.
The Provincial Scholarship and the Employee Scholarship applications are judged separately.
Scholarships are not based on financial need.
- Part 1: Contact Information
- Part 2: Personal Essay
- Part 3: ADHD Coaching Essay
- Part 4: Consent Form and Release
Prior to submission, each applicant must sign his/her application unconditionally agreeing to be bound by the Scholarship Rules and Regulations. Unsigned applications will be considered incomplete and will not be accepted.
- Online applications: all online applications must be submitted by April 22, 2016, 8:00 PM Eastern Time.
The Scholarship Sponsor is not responsible for any late or incomplete applications, which will not be considered. Carefully review your application before submission. Once the application is submitted, no further additions or revisions may be made.
The Initial Judges will consider the remaining applications (Note: Applications submitted for the Provincial Scholarship and Employee Scholarship will be judged separately) on the following criteria and weights:
- Personal Essay – 80%
- ADHD Coaching Essay – 20%
The Personal Essay will be scored according to the following criteria and weights: (i) the applicant’s story (how they faced challenges, struggled, and managed to overcome them or why they were unable to overcome them) and the result (50%); (ii) whether the applicant answered the essay questions thoroughly and provided examples to clarify their points (45%); and (iii) the number of grammatical or spelling mistakes the essay contains (5%).
The ADHD Coaching Essay will be scored according to the following criteria and weights: (i) the degree to which the applicant understands the value of coaching and how it can assist them in successfully making the transition to higher education (95%); and (ii) the number of grammatical or spelling mistakes the essay contains (5%).
For full details, please see the Rules and Regulations.
Personal Essay – must answer the following questions in 500 words or less, and comply with the following restriction:
- Please tell us about your career aspirations and how ADHD has impacted your life. Be as specific as possible while providing insights about yourself and your interests
- Please do not mention any pharmacological treatment or name of drug you have taken or are taking for your ADHD.
ADHD Coaching Essay – must explain in 100 words or less how having an ADHD coach will help the applicant meet the challenges of higher education.
The Scholarship Sponsor recommends returning the completed Scholarship Acceptance Package with a delivery confirmation (ie, via overnight mail, 2nd day delivery, certified mail return receipt requested). If a potential winner fails to return a fully signed Acceptance Package within the required timeframe, the potential winner shall be disqualified and the applicable Scholarship shall be awarded to a potential winner selected as the applicable alternative as described below. In the event that such an alternate rejects the Scholarship or fails to return the Acceptance Package, the Scholarship Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion, reserves the right not to award all Scholarships.
If the Scholarship Sponsor is unable to locate a Scholarship recipient within ten days, then such a Scholarship recipient may be disqualified and, at the Scholarship Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion, an alternate recipient may be awarded the Scholarship.
Live agents are available Monday-Friday 8 AM to 8 PM. Technical Support hours are limited to Monday-Friday 8 AM to 5 PM Eastern Time only. Customer Service and Tech Support are only provided when the application process is open.
Please note that the volume of calls can be extremely heavy during the final week before the deadline. As a result, the Scholarship Partners cannot guarantee that you will be able to speak with an agent if you call during this time.
No extensions will be granted for any delays relating to such heavy volume or any problems with, or technical malfunction of, any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, or software.