For complete details, please see the full list of Rules and Regulations. For answers to Frequently Asked Questions, please click the topics below.
Shire will also award up to five (5) Scholarships to its employees (or their immediate family members as defined below) who have been diagnosed with ADHD (the “Employee Scholarship”).
To obtain a list of Scholarship recipients (available in June 2015), send a
self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Shire ADHD Scholarship, PO Box 562, Chestertown, MD 21620 or visit www.ShireADHDscholarship.com. For information on Shire employee winners please visit http://iris.shire.com/in-line/neuroscience/Pages/ADHDScholarshipProgramLP.aspx.
- Scholarship redemption is subject to the recipient submitting verification of acceptance to or enrollment at a Qualifying Institution (as defined below).
- Scholarships and coaching services must be used during the 2015-2016 academic year, which generally begins in August/September 2015 and ends in May/June 2016.
- Scholarship may NOT be used for online courses or distance learning programs UNLESS the online course or distance learning program is offered by an educational institution that also maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled student body that attends classes at a physical location where the educational institution habitually engages in education activities.
- Scholarship may not be used for graduate programs.
- Scholarship awards must be used only for tuition and fees.
- Scholarships will be paid in one installment directly to the Qualifying Institution in August 2015. Scholarship recipient MUST complete the intake consultation with the Edge Foundation before the Scholarship will be paid to the Qualifying Institution. Scholarship payment will be contingent upon the Qualifying Institution’s completion of the Institution Package. Following receipt of the Institution Package, payment processing may take 3-4 weeks.
- Scholarships are not transferable in whole or in part.
- Please see complete Rules & Regulations at www.ShireADHDscholarship.com
- Be accepted to or enrolled in a 2- or 4-year undergraduate program* at an accredited college, university, trade school, technical school, vocational school, or other "eligible educational institution," located in the US (a "Qualifying Institution"). To see if your school is an accredited institution, click here.
- Be a legal resident of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia.
- At the time of submitting the application, each applicant must be diagnosed with ADHD and under the care of a licensed health care provider for ADHD, although no specific future or ongoing plan of management or treatment for applicant’s ADHD is required in order for applicant to be eligible to receive a Scholarship.
Each potential award recipient must provide proof of age (a notarized, legible copy of a birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, military identification card, or other identification card issued by the state or federal governments, etc., containing your date of birth) with the Acceptance Package (as defined below).
Applicants selected as potential award recipients must also confirm their ADHD diagnosis by completing the Confirmation of Diagnosis that will be mailed to potential award recipients as part of the Acceptance Package.
Consultants, vendors, agents, and representatives of Scholarship Sponsor (the "Scholarship Partners"), and their respective parents, children, siblings (including step, foster, legal guardians and wards), and spouses (“Immediate Family”) and those with whom they live are not eligible for the National Scholarship.
The Employee Scholarship is available only to employees of Shire, members of their Immediate Family, and those with whom the Shire employee live and who otherwise meet the eligibility criteria set forth above.
The National Scholarship and the Employee Scholarship applications are judged separately.
- Part 1: Contact Information
- Part 2: Parent Information (required for minors)
- Part 3: Liability and Publicity Release
- Part 4: Letter of Recommendation
- Part 5: Personal Essay
- Part 6: ADHD Coaching Essay
- Part 7: Activities
Carefully review your application before submission. All sections must be completed and entered in the format required. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Online applications: All online applications must be submitted by February 18, 2015, 8:00 PM Eastern Time.
- Paper applications: All paper applications must be postmarked or faxed by February 18, 2015. Handwritten applications will NOT be accepted.
- Applications must either be submitted 100% online or 100% paper/hard copy. Mixed applications will NOT be accepted.
The Scholarship Sponsor is not responsible for any late, lost, misdirected, illegible, or incomplete applications, which will not be considered. Carefully review your application before submission. All pages must be completed and entered in the format required. Once the application is submitted, no further additions or revisions may be made.
The Initial Judges will consider the remaining entries on the following criteria:
- Personal Essay – 45%
- Letter of Recommendation – 15%
- ADHD Coaching Essay – 30%
- Community, Volunteer, and Extracurricular Activities – 10%
The Personal Essay will be scored according to the applicants’ individual stories: the challenges they have faced in living with ADHD and how they have met them; and insight about themselves, their interests, hobbies, community work, and career aspirations. Scoring includes whether the applicant answered the questions thoroughly and provided examples to clarify their points, and the number of grammatical or spelling mistakes the Personal Essay contains.
The ADHD Coaching Essay will be scored according to the degree to which the applicant describes how ADHD coaching could assist them in meeting a specific area of challenge as outlined in the essay question. Scoring also includes the number of grammatical or spelling mistakes the essay contains.
Applications submitted for a National Scholarship and an Employee Scholarship will be evaluated separately.
For full details please see the Rules and Regulations.
Applicants selected as potential award recipients must confirm their ADHD diagnosis by completing the Confirmation of Diagnosis that will be mailed to potential award recipients as part of the Acceptance Package.
Shire recommends returning the completed Scholarship Acceptance Package with a delivery confirmation (ie, via overnight mail, 2nd day delivery, certified mail return receipt requested).
Employee Scholarship Questions: 1-800-828-2088
Live agents are available Monday-Friday 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. Technical Support hours are limited to Monday-Friday 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern Time only. Live agents are unavailable on national holidays. Customer Service and Tech Support are only provided when the application process is open.
Please note that in previous years, the volume of calls has been extremely heavy during the final week before the deadline. As a result, the Scholarship Partners cannot guarantee that you will be able to speak with an agent if you call during this time.
No extensions will be granted for any delays relating to such heavy volume or any problems with, or technical malfunction of, any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, or software.
Didn’t find your answer?
National Scholarship Questions: call 1-855-474-4732
Employee Scholarship Questions: call 1-800-828-2088